Township of East Hanover Official Web Site

email the Registrar


411 Ridgedale Avenue

East Hanover, New Jersey 07936

(973) 888-6000

9:00 AM to 1:00 PM and 2:30 PM to 4:00 PM




Where should you apply for a marriage license?


To apply in East Hanover, the bride or the groom must reside here.  If she is a non-resident of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar in the municipality in which the groom resides, (For marriage license purposes, soldiers are residents of the post at which they are stationed.)  A license issued under either of the preceding circumstances is good for use anywhere in New Jersey.


If both bride and groom are nonresidents of New Jersey, the license must be obtained from the Registrar of the municipality where the marriage is to be performed and is only good for use in that municipality.


A license may never be used outside of New Jersey and a license issued in another state may never be used in New Jersey.


When should you apply for a marriage license?


The local Registrar will not issue a marriage license sooner than 72 hours after the application has been made, unless ordered to do so via an appropriate court order.


If both the bride & groom are unavailable to complete the application at the same time, either applicant may complete his/her part of the application & start the waiting period.  The other applicant must return with the same witness (who must be at least 18 years old) to complete his/her part of the application.  The application must be completed by both parties before the license will be issued.  Once the marriage license is issued, it is only good for 30 days from the date of issuance.


A couple wishing to have both religious & civil ceremonies may be issued a license for both ceremonies on the basis of a single application.  However, a couple wishing to have two religious ceremonies, and wanting to have a public record of each, may not have two licenses issued at the same time.  They must apply for and use the first license.  Then they must return to the Registrar with the signed original certificate of the marriage and a witness to apply for a remarriage license.


What should you bring with you when you apply?


You or the groom must live in East Hanover.  You both have to bring a driver’s license (proof of residence), birth certificate, social security card & if either have been married before I need proof of that for example:  divorced  papers, death certificate or annulment papers) & one witness who must be at least 18 years old.  The fee is $28.00 in cash or a check only.


Who can perform a marriage ceremony?


According to state law, judges or a Federal District Court, United States magistrates, judges of a Municipal Court, judges of the Superior Court, judges of a tax court, retired judges of the Superior Court or Tax Court, or a judge of the Superior Court or Tax Court who has resigned in good standing, and any mayor/deputy mayor or chairman of any township committee, village president of New Jersey, county clerks, and every minister of every religion may solemnize a marriage.


Where should the marriage record be filed?


The person performing a marriage ceremony must file the marriage license with the Registrar of the municipality in which the marriage was performed.  Since failure to record the marriage may cause considerable inconvenience at a later date when proof of marriage is needed, you should make sure that this has been done.


Certified copies of the marriage event may be obtained from the local Registrar in the municipality where the ceremony occurred or from the Office of the State Registrar of Vital Statistics.


How do I get copies of my marriage license?


If marriage took place in East Hanover, certified copies of marriage license will be handled by mail or by appointment only.  Make check payable to:  Township of East Hanover.  The fee for the first copy is $10.00 and $5.00 for each additional copy.  Please include names, date, cell phone or daytime number, return address, photo ID (i.e. copy of driver’s license or a copy of passport with photo).  The check and all necessary information should be mailed to:  Felicia McDonald, Registrar, Township of East Hanover, 411 Ridgedale  Avenue, East Hanover, New Jersey 07936.  Certified copies will be mailed as soon as possible. 

  Please use this form.